The Warm-Up Round
Since it is your first date with the guy/girl, you should be open to all possibilities. He/she may genuinely be interested in a serious relationship, or may be just looking for somebody to spend the evening with. This will reflect in the talk you have. The fact that you are with the person on a date says you are interested to know about the person; but you can’t be blatant in your approach! So here is a round of warm-up questions!
Tell Me About Yourself …
- Do you have a pet name? How did you get it?
- What is your birthplace?
- Tell me about your family… Do you have siblings? What do they do? What do your parents do?
- Which school did you go to?
- Where did you grow up? Have you always lived in this city/state?
- Do you like pets? Ever had one?
- What is your birth-date/zodiac sign?
Hobbies, Likes and Dislikes…
- Do you like (name of hobby)?
- If you could do one thing for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- What is your most cherished moment/memory with friends?
- What genre of music do you most relate to/genre of films do you like the most?
- What is your favorite color/sport/cuisine/color/song/etc.?
How You Live and Who You Are
After the warm-up, it will be a nice idea to try to find out about the kind of person your date is. One of the best way to do that is by sharing experiences. Childhood memories, goals in life, qualities cherished, mistakes made, lessons learned… that sort of a thing. Basically, you should try to gauge the kind of person your date is, and find out about the kind of life your date has had, until the present. Here’s a set of questions that will help you do that.
- What is your most cherished memory with your family/friends?
- If there is one moment you could relive, which would it be?
- What qualities in a person do you respect the most/dislike the most?
- Tell me one thing about yourself that you would like to change.
- Who are the three most important people in your life?
- Do you regret having done something in your life? What is it?
- Where do you see yourself five years from now?
- Are you happy with the way your life has turned out to be?
The ‘L’ Word
Now, it is understandable that you be curious about the kind of dating and romantic experiences your date has had – has he/she ever been on a blind date, or gone on a date and not liked it? Has he/she ever been in a relationship before? The best way to approach this subject is by first asking casual questions, perhaps even a tad bit naughty or funny! Then, depending on your date’s response, you may move on to more serious questions.
Fooling Around …
- Who was your first crush?
- Have you ever been on a blind date? How was your experience?
- Did anyone ever make a pass at you?
- What is your idea of a romantic date?
- What do you think is the most attractive feature in a man/woman?
Getting Serious …
- Were you ever in a serious relationship?
- What do you seek the most out of a relationship?
- What place does your life-partner hold in your life?
- What are your views about casual sex/one-night stands/ extramarital affairs?
- Family, friends or love – where does your priority belong?
- Never ask about your date’s ex! NEVER EVER! Curious though you might be, make sure you never openly ask your date about his/her ex.
- If you think certain question may be too poky, or objectionable, or that your date may not be comfortable answering it, give your date the option of not answering. Don’t leave it for the date to guess, say it’s okay if he/she chooses not to answer.
- Be sensitive in your approach, and in the way you frame your questions.
- Be ready to answer yourself the same questions that you are asking your date. You cannot ask something and then refuse to answer it yourself! That’s silly!
- Do not turn the date into an interview! Make sure to engage in a conversation and not just dwell upon questions and answers.
Asking your date questions should not substitute having a conversation with your date; the questions should simply act as doors that open avenues on which you may talk, comment, discuss and share views on. Once you keep that in mind, I am sure you will have a fun-filled date!